Thursday, October 25, 2012

Daisy's Garden Stir Fry

Plus some.

Hello Ladies!

I am garden-sitting for our lovely Daisy while she is up in New York, and it is truly a treat to tuck myself up in that quiet, lush space for half and hour every few days.  It's twice as nice because it's right up the hill from the Farmer's Daughter.  I was down there the other day, feeling a little panicked and a little frustrated for various reasons, but up the hill I went to pick Daisy's luffa and snip off yard-long beans.

As soon as I'd stepped over the chain onto her dratted burmuda grass, I felt 3/4 of my stress drain away, and the last thread was gone by the time my arms were in the luffa vines, sniffing their singular nutty smell.  It's like my own private Urban Farm.  And best of all, it's not mine.  I can reap the benefit of all her hard work (plus some of Jesus') and use it purely for my own relaxation   She's got it all- flowers, bees lazily buzzing, herbs, bird baths galore,  exotic Asian veggies, rocks, rabbits....


Since she was so sad to miss her bolting Baby Bok Choy (although I'm trying hard to save some for her- it's truly precious), I thought we'd all share it in a virtual one-dish potluck....  No pictures of the garden; I may snip snap one next time I'm up there- it's Magical though so it may not take to (extremely) amateur photography...

I rarely make stir-fry, but I sure do love to eat it... Plus, it take to time at'all... What's my problem?



Daisy's Garden Stir Fry
with shiitake, tofu, and some other stuff too

  • 1 inch of baby ginger (I got some at the mkt in ATL!) (this is a very baby-focused meal), thinly sliced 
  • 1 small hot pepper, minced
  • 1/4 hubbard squash, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 block firm tofu, cut into your favorite-sized squares
  • 5 shiitake, destemmed and sliced
  • 1 luffa, peeled and sliced into rounds
  • 2 heads of baby bok choy, rinsed, and broken apart
  • 1 cup of rice, cooked like you know you know how 
I marinated the tofu in a bit of fish sauce, soy sauce, tofu water, honey, and vinegar for about 10 minutes.

Heat a wok or skillet til hot with about a tablespoon of oil.  Toss in the ginger and hot pepper, stir briefly, then add the squash.  Cook til the squash begins to soften- about 7 minutes.  You can add the mushrooms with the squash, but I actually prefer to cook them separate in a dry skillet, as I think this makes them taste more mushroomy.  Add the tofu and luffa, cook a few minutes, and then, at the very last minute, wilt the baby bok choy.  Season with salt or soy sauce and serve right away.



Love!
-Ann Middle








No comments:

Post a Comment